Thursday, November 26, 2009

This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

OK, I love my ivory wedding dress, but I am a very, very white girl with medium blond hair and very pale blue eyes. I'm pretty washed out in all that paleness.



My friend suggested tanning beds, but I am one of those people who just gets more freckles when they get sun. Or I burn. I've tried tanning lotion on my legs to see if that might work, but it looks orange. I even bought the expensive stuff that says it's for your face. It's not a look I'd ever like to see on my face...



My mom thinks I should dye my hair brown or red, she thinks that would give some part of me a little bit of color, at least. I don't mind the idea of red hair, but I don't want to look like someone else in my wedding photos! There are lots of people that look like me out there, what do you all do?



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

Please don't do the spray or fake tanning! For someone who doesn't tan naturally it means no one has ever seen you with one - including yourself - and you won't feel comfortable with the final look.



Ask your hair stylist to use some hair extensions, in a shade 2-3 shades darker than your natural color and just clip them in to look like highlights. Take someone with you for an additional opinion and see if you like the look without the commitment. If yes, go for it - if no, then no harm done.



Is there a way to introduce some color in to your bridal look with jewelry? Is there a special pendant or pin that could be put on a ribbon in your colors and worn around your neck? Are your gals wearing a color that you can find in CZ's or crystals and add it to your look with earrings or necklace? This too would break up the 'lightness' and bring some color to your skin. Do NOT use a stark color like black, it will only intensify the paleness. A jewel tone or even a medium hued pastel color would work so much better.



Instead of a large veil use something light and sheerer. If you can find one with a gorgeous lace edging it'll give it some 'substance' and not look 'ethereal' or ghostlike. If possible rather than a tiara, have your florist make you a wreath of flowers (not totally white/ivory) and ivy. This too will bring some color to you and your look and brighten you up completely.



Hopefully you aren't having your bridesmaids in black dresses, since that too will make you look paler than normal whenever you are around them and in pictures. Pick a warmer color, one that works for them and for you. Remember it may be them wearing it, but it's you that will be the one around them in pictures and you want a color that will reflect well on you too! Shades like (from the David's Bridal palette) Clover, Pool, Azalea, Cognac, Terra Cotta, Victorian Lilac, Wild Fire, Mystic Purple, Smoke, would be great - they are soft but colorful without being too stark or too pale. Steer clear of Pink Blush, Champagne, Latte, Stardust, Peridot, Honeydew, Platinum as these will wash you completely even more. Darker shades will do the same like Blackberry, Crimson, Expresso, Midnight, Truffle, Blue Velvet.



Good Luck!!



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

well id try some brown highlights maybe that always spices up a look



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

I don't look like that, but have you tried the lotion that gradually builds tans {or looks like a tan anyways}? They usually work really good and you can control how tan you look without worrying about all the problems of actual tanning.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

Try that red shampoo that just adds a tinge of red to your hair. I think that would look great with an ivory gown. Not too red...DO NOT go extreme red...you will regret it.



Congrats and Best Wishes!



I will look for the product for you and post it when I find it.



UPDATE: here is a link to the shampoo:



http://www.haircareusa.com/artec_color_d...



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

You pretty much explained me. I have long medium blond hair and very pale skin. I feel like I blend in with the white paint on my walls. My wedding is this august and I don't want to look like I am part of the dress. However I don't want to change my self to drastically. Your beautiful as you are and you have to accept that. God made you special in his eyes and thats perfect. I know how you feel but don't change yourself to be different. Be You!



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

if store bought bronzers turn you orange, how about a spray tan from an actual tanning place? it might work better than bottled stuff for you. I'm not sure about dying your hair.. you don't want to look like a completely different person on your wedding day. Either try a spray tan or try a tanning bed for a really short period of time maybe every other day.. it should help you get some color and if you aren't exposed as much the freckles shouldn't get too bad.. hope this helps!



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

Do not change yourself at all. Your man is marrying you the way you are now. Stay that way. Just get your hair done up pretty without the dye or colors. Go get a your nails done and makeup by a professional . You will look prettier that way rather than changing your whole look.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

Honestly dont dye your hair red or any other dark color for your wedding. You want to look like yourself on your weddings and it is too big a deal of an occassion to start trying something new...it's recipe for disaster! Any profesional make up artist will know how to put the right makeup so you dont look washed....



Maybe the brow highlights is a good thing to try but don't go trying anything too crazy. Tanning looks awful on me I am very pale too.



Try making an appointment with a makeup artist and ask for a trial then try your wedding dress with that makeup on and see how it works.



Good Luck!



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

there isn't much you can do. try dieing your hair a lil bit of a darker color than it is right now ans see if you like it and if you don't like that then a lest it will not be a totally diff color.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

I would definitely not dye your hair a completely different color...add some nice highlights, but don't dye it completely. You will want to look like yourself in your wedding photos.



I think that your best bet would be to rely on the powers of makeup. Find a makeup artist that really knows what they are doing, of course do a trial first, since they know all the tricks. You will be amazed at what they can do.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

Make up that compliments your skin tone. Have you ever used a bronzer? Try some on the bridge of your nose, cheek bones, forehead, and neck. And accessorize (but don't over do it). If your dress leaves your shoulders exposed, you could add some fine crushed glitter over your shoulders and neck area.



Tanning is fine, but be yourself. If you don't like it, don't do it. This is your day, you should enjoy it. Don't worry about the small things.



P.S. Congratulations!



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

Have you thought about getting a spray tan? If you go to a good pleace it wont be orange. You can pick the shade and do a little at a time. I think highlights in your hair would be nice maybe red and blonde shades.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

I'm really pale too, and like you I can't tan. I only burn, peel, then I'm pale again. Only difference is I have brown hair and I still look as my mother says "unhealthy and sickly" in white. Thanks mom :P So trust me, changing your hair color wont change much, you could try it if you want, but I don't think it would do anything.



I've been using Jergens Natural Glow body %26amp; face moisturizers, to try and give me some color. I don't notice a change but others do. They tell me I look healthier and ask if I've been tanning.



http://www.jergens.com/Our_Collection/Pr...



Use it everyday or every other day, start with the lightest and go up if you want. Or the one closest to your skin tone then go up one. I've been using it every day for the past 4 months and am thinking about going up , maybe then I'll notice what others do heh..



If you stop it will start to fade so be sure not to stop using it too closely to your wedding day. And wait a bit before getting dressed as the stuff does stain...



And as someone else suggested try going to an actual reputable tanning salon and getting a spray tan there.



Another idea would be to add some color to your dress. It made a bit of difference as to how I thought I looked in mine. I just replaced the white ribbon going around the bodice. *shrug* I understand if you don't want to do that, just a thought



Congrats! And good luck %26lt;3 I'm sure you'll look lovely no matter what...all that matters is what you and your FH thinks...I'm sure he loves you just the way you are and wouldn't change a thing about ya.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

If tanning isn't your thing, don't do it. I agree with the others who suggest experimenting with makeup and hair styles, but not with the dying of the hair. You are saying you don't want to look like someone else, so don't allow yourself to. You can always incorporate some color with your eye makeup or maybe a colorful flower tucked into your hair. I've seen some bridal magazines with women who have white blond hair and paper white skin and are wearing a white dress but look beautiful. I've always wished i could have that pale skin look, but, no such luck, i'm portuguese! All in all, its your special day and you want to look like you. I personally advise against the tanning and/or hair dying, but suggest looking into makeup options. I hope you get it all worked out. Best of luck to you! (And this is not vain at all!)



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

your man loves you as you are, don't go dying your hair or ruining your skin with tanning.



you want to look back at wedding photos with pride, not look back and think "i had to dye my hair for my wedding".



being a bride will make you shine with happiness (and nerves) so you will not look washed out. instead of adding colour to yourself, perhaps you could look into having a ribbon on your veil? or attaching a thick ribbon to your bouquet, so it drapes down a little? the colours of your flowers can easily make a big difference.



so can your jewellery.



why not "work your look" with glittery make up on your high cheek bones and your shoulders? glossy lips and natural eyeshadow?



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

First, do not dye your hair! If you want to try some highlights or a hint of color that is cool but you do not even want to open that can of worms before your big day. Remember that pale skin and light hair are a timeless beauty mark, you should feel very blessed. To bring you some color google air brush tanning salons in your area and go give this a try, it is more expensive than the regular spray on tanning but is taylored to your wants and needs. Also you may trie aveeno daily radiance lotion, it is a gradual color enhancer that I use year round to add just a healthy glow. If you haven't already choosen your flower, veil, and jewlery you may want to add some touches of color thier, flowers in your hair, soft pink pearls for the jewlery or any number of things to give you a little more of a glow! Make your eyes pop and bring out your other best features, I am sure you will be beautiful with the natural glow !



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

My dear, I feel your pain. And your mom and friends should be ashamed of themselves. The should be telling you that you look BEAUTIFUL, and let me assure you, all brides look absolutely gorgeous. It is true, even if you put a wedding dress on a 250 pound 5'2" slob, she would look stunning. And, you probably have your own natural beauty, with naturally blond hair. Leave your hair and skin alone. Don't tan %26amp; risk skin cancer. Talk with a make-up professional, and get some ideas on how to do your make up to bring out your features, accent your beautful eyes, so you don't look so washed out. Ask about base makeup and rouge. Talk with a hair stylist about making your hair look stunning, wear it up or cut so that it has body and wave. Consider a tiara or other head piece to bring some shine to your crowning beauty. You can even consider a Jackie Kennedy pill box hat with a veil, and the hat can be turquoise or teal. And, think about how you will further accessorize with earring or necklace, or bracelets to make yourself shine. And, think about black vintage nylons, that would look just fabulous against your pearl white skin. Get creative on how to bring color into your presentation, rather than try to wipe out the natural beauty that is you. And, just have a splendid wedding.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

I would just go as you! Maybe wear some kind of pretty earing or necklace with your dress,this way it creates a focal point and enhances your look. Maybe when doing your make-up wear SOME bronzer not too much though!



I honestly think nobody will really care if youre a bit fair skinned.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

I would keep your hair the way it is because otherwise you won't look like yourself. The trick is to enhance yourself but not to change yourself. For instance, if you normally wear your hair down and nobody has seen you with it up, the best hairstyle to choose would be an elegant modification of hair down but maybe with a part of it up. I wouldn't go with red hair.



As for looking washed out....Why not try a colourful bouquet to add some colour. You'll be holding that most of the time anyway. Ivory is a good colour for pale skin as white can be really stark against pale skin. I wore ivory too and gold jewelry looks the best with ivory too. My bouquet was really colourful - purples, lemon, pink, red in roses, and lilliums and it looked beautiful with my dress. I also wore my hair down with the top part up with flat curls and a tiara. Simple gold jewelry. I have blue eyes too and I didn't bother with the tan.



Anyway, good luck. I'm sure you'll be beautiful no matter what you end up doing.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

Don't do it unless you have enough time to try it out. I have almost the same skin tone, hair and eyes as you described but I'm a little rosy in my paleness. I dyed my hair a dark blonde/light, brown and I looked like death warmed over. It was horrible. I look exactly like my sister, who has brown hair and brown eyes, so I thought I would look ok. OMG it was horrible. Definitely try it first, I cannot stress that enough.



I tried red too, it washed out quick and just left my hair tinted.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

you shouldnt be doing a DIY job for your wedding...go to a salon, they are trained in doing that, you can get a trial to see if it turns out nice, most bottle tan turns out orange, but you can get the salon to do a really good job.



dont dye your hair, you should look like you, but i think a shade darker with tan would really look well against the ivory dress



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

Maybe dye your hair a darker blond, something closer to an ash blond or light brown. But don't so full on red or brown, that you make you look more washed out.



Also, talk to a make-up artist and get some tips for make-up that can add colour to your face. There are certain ways to colour your eyes, cheeks and lips to bring out just a bit more colour without being too much which is important. A make-up artist should be able to help. But don't do anything to different or drastic or you won't look like yourself. It is better to use a few subtle techniques on your face and hair and that will make all the difference.



I also suggest on the day don't get photographed with a flash on the camera too much as it will make you very white in the photos - I also have the same problem so will be trying to do make-up techniques to make my face a bit darker.



But don't worry too much, I'm sure you're beautiful the way you are and I also think your fiance thinks so too!



PS. you did the right thing going for an ivory dress, I also got one in that colour and will add more colour to our pale skin.



PPS. DON'T whatever you do get a fake tan, I have only ever seen bad ones and you will look orange trust me. Just don't go there. You look better the way you are.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

I too am pale and had an ivory dress. I was married in August so I wanted color but refuse to lie in a cancer inducing tanning bed. Plus I would just burn anyway! So, I opted for the Mystic tan spary. My wedding pictures are great you would never know it was a fake tan and the make up I wore looked very natural. I think that is your best bet. HOWEVER there is plenty of room for error with spray tan...you should definitely perfect the technique and do it a few times before the big day so you know how to make it come out without and streaks or spots. Good luck!



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

there are plenty of fake tans that don't look orange so i would go through them all till you find one that suits you. you might be thinking it looks more orange than it does because you are so used to being white. try it again and then take photos to see how it comes out



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

I think you should go as yourself. Don't dye your hair for you wedding because then you would look like someone else and I bet you will regret it later on.



Katie is right, those gradual tanning lotions work really well. I used the Avon brand. The only downside is they don't smell that great.



Also, just go to your favorite stylist and ask her what she would recommend. Maybe some make up to just enhance the beauty you already have!



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

Contact a local makeup artist who will give you the look you want without the worry of freckles or being washed out by your ivory wedding gown.



This is totally vain, but Wedding dress/hair/make up?

I wore a champagne colored wedding dress, with all matching champagne colored accessories. My hair was blonde with some caramel colored highlights. I did SOME tanning in a bed, but not too much cause I do as well get freckles and i didn't want to tan too much and look fake as hell in my pictures. Those sunless tanning lotions are not really that great either. The only other thing I can suggest is spary tan. Some tanning salons that spray tans that look AWESOME! I know there are Planet Beach Tanning Salons all over the USA. Maybe there is one by you and you can check it out.



I definitely would NOT dye your hair red or a brown. Stay blonde, but add some low lights so your not bleach blonde.



Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd